skip to main content

Appealing to superior court

What if I disagree with the decision reached in the final order?

Any party who disagrees with any portion of this decision may appeal to superior court.

How much time do I have to appeal to superior court?

  • In workers' compensation and WISHA cases, your appeal to superior court must be filed within 30 days from the date you receive the Board's final order.
  • In crime victim and employer premium cases, your appeal must be filed within 30 days from the date the order was mailed to you.

In what county do I file a superior court appeal?

  • In a workers' compensation case, file the appeal either (1) in the county where the injured worker or beneficiary lives, or (2) in the county where the injury took place. If the worker's residence and the place of injury are outside Washington State, file the appeal in Thurston County Superior Court.
  • In a WISHA case, file the appeal in the county where the alleged violation occurred.
  • In a crime victim or employer premium case, file the appeal either (1) in Thurston County, (2) in the county where you live or where your principal place of business is located, or (3) in any county where the property owned by the petitioner and affected by the contested decision is located.

Do I need to send copies of the appeal to anyone?

Copies of the appeal MUST be mailed or hand-delivered to the BIIA, Department of Labor and Industries, and (if applicable) to the Self-Insured Employer:

Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals
2430 Chandler Court SW
P.O. Box 42401
Olympia, WA 98504-2401

Department of Labor and Industries
Office of the Director
P.O. Box 44001
Olympia, WA 98504-4001

Is there a form for filing an appeal in superior court?

No. Each superior court has its own filing requirements. There is a directory available on the Washington Courts website to help you locate the appropriate superior court. 

What evidence will the superior court consider?

The case will be tried based on the record made before the BIIA. The record consists of transcripts, depositions, and exhibits offered during Board hearings.

Where do I find the rules about superior court appeals?

Statutes and rules can be found in the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) and Washington Administrative Code (WAC). These are legal publications available in law libraries. They are also available on the Washington State Legislature website.  

Most of these rules can be found in the Board's Rules of Practice and Procedure.

重庆体彩网 天水市 永康市 成都市 商洛市 大庆市 镇江市 临夏市 阜新市 巴中市 萍乡市 崇州市 邓州市 平度市 河津市 台中市 衡水市 明光市 凤城市 吉林省 石首市 龙海市 黄石市 叶城市 都匀市 武穴市 朝阳市 青岛市 凤城市 葫芦岛市 仙桃市 合肥市 孝感市 邢台市 兴城市 平度市 利川市 洮南市 信阳市 常州市 宁国市 南阳市 徐州市 北宁市 邢台市 鹿泉市 池州市 北宁市 台中市 华阴市 延吉市 铁力市 兴城市 淮安市 汉川市 东阳市 焦作市 西安市 佛山市 潍坊市 甘肃省